Oregon Department of Veteran's Affairs logoOregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA), Higher Education Benefits

Veterans in Oregon are eligible for numerous benefits related to higher education. The Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs (ODVA) provides information on overall benefits for veterans, including: 

Oregon University System (OUS) Veterans' Benefits

Below is specific information on higher education benefits through the Oregon University System and the ODVA.

  • Veterans' Dependent Tuition Waiver (PDF): This benefit provides a full tuition waiver for a bachelor’s or master’s degree at an OUS institution for a child or spouse of a member of the United States Armed Forces who either died in active duty, became 100% disabled in connection with military service, or died as a result of a disability sustained in active duty. Click on the title above for tgraduation at Eastern Oregon Universityhe Application Form and for the Eligibility and Instructions.
  • Voyager Aid Program for Oregon National Guard and Reserve: Voyager is a financial aid benefit that is available to honor and support Oregon residents who served the nation as members of the National Guard or Reserves in an active duty capacity in a combat zone since September 11, 2001.
  • Overview of Veterans' educational benefits information from the ODVA.

Campus Veterans Affairs Websites

For more information, contact the financial aid or admissions office at the Oregon University System campus that you are attending or plan to attend.  All OUS universities have website information and links to veterans certifying officers on campus, and provide additional information summarizing veterans’ resources, both on- and off-campus. The following campus websites provide links to veteran’s resources and services:

OUS and the Yellow Ribbon Program

Six of seven OUS institutions participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program which provides a discount on nonresident tuition rates for qualifying, nonresident veterans. Eastern Oregon University, the only OUS institution that does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, does not charge nonresident tuition rates and thus already discounts tuition for all nonresident students.

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.  This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate.  The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Nonresident Veteran Fee Remission

Criteria: The Nonresident Veteran Fee Remission is a tuition and fee reduction for qualified students who are not Oregon residents and who are attending classes as an admitted undergraduate at one of the seven OUS campuses.

To qualify for the discount, the nonresident veteran must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and was relieved or discharged from that service under honorable conditions as defined by ORS 408.225 and as shown on an original or certified copy of the student’s DD-214.

Award: Qualified students are charged tuition and fees no greater than the resident rate, plus 50 percent of the difference between the resident tuition and fee total and the nonresident tuition and fee total with the following qualifications:

  • A student who served in the Armed Forces of the United States and who receives federal tuition benefits in excess of the tuition and fees charged under this policy shall pay tuition and fees equal to the federal tuition benefits received.
  • Distance education and self-support courses as identified by each OUS institution are excluded from this discount.
  • If a nonresident student is otherwise eligible for tuition benefits under this discount but is also receiving federal vocational rehabilitation education benefits, that student is excluded from this discount.

Eligible nonresident veteran students should contact the financial aid office at the OUS institution they are applying to or currently enrolled in, to request this benefit.