Summary of Discussion with Dr. David Nygren: September 15, 2000
The Executive Committee, along with several other Board members who were present at the meeting, reviewed the key priorities identified by Dr. David Nygren from his review of this year's documentation and budget drafts. This led to a lively dialogue culminating in the recommendation by the group to further develop two goals to be presented to the full Board for its review October 20, 2000. The draft goals can be found on the next page.
President VanLuvanee asked members of the Board to work together in smaller groups to refine the proposed goals prior to the October Board meeting. Staff will be assigned to support the groups. Board members were invited to contribute via email or other means any information they would like to see incorporated in the goals. The full Board will review, refine, and approve Board Goals for 2001 in October.
OUS Board Goals for 2000-01
1. The Board seeks to expand its role in leading social discourse on key issues related to the System's contribution to Oregon's future. To that end, the Board will develop a plan to build stronger relationships with key OUS constituents including:
- Governor John Kitzhaber
- The Legislature
- Institutional presidents/faculty
- The economic development community
- Current and future employers of OUS graduates
2. The new budget model requires a refined model of governance for the Oregon State Board of Higher Education. A plan will be developed in 2001 to advance a process of governing that will:
- Intensify the Board's strategic focus by engaging more systematically in System strategy development through:
•Setting a routine context for strategic dialogue for the Board and with key constituents;
•Enabling the Board to take the longer view (create a vision) of statewide educational needs; and
•Allowing more time annually for strategic review.
- Link the Board and System strategic priorities more closely to a realistic budget process
- Refine the policy process of the Board and specify the Board's information needs in order to increase its fact-based decision making
- Refine the Committee charters to reflect the current work of the Board
- Evaluate the Board's and individual member performance on the Board