Joint Boards Articulation Commission

Meeting Summary Notes
March 3, 1999
OIT Metro
Portland, Oregon

Members Present

Martha Anne Dow, Chair, Oregon Institute of Technology, Chair (via PicTel)
Janine Allen, Portland State University
Jim Arnold, Oregon University System
Roy Arnold, Oregon State University
Jim Buch, University of Oregon (via phone)
Jon Carnahan, Linn-Benton Community College (via phone)
Liz Goulard, Clackamas Community College
Pat Loughary, Blue Mountain Community College
Dave Phillips, Clatsop Community College
Mark Wahlers, Concordia College

Guests Present

Sam Collie, Portland State University

 

Martha Anne Dow called the meeting to order at 10:10 a.m.


1.  Summary Notes of January 6, 1999

The summary notes of the January 6, 1999, meeting were approved as corrected: In section 5 ("JBAC Workplan") of the summary notes, it was noted that the name of Mickie Bush, registrar at Concordia University, was omitted from the list of new members of the Student Transfer Committee. The notes from January 6 will be revised to reflect this change. (see the revised version on the web: http://www.ous.edu/aca/1-6-99.html )

 

2.  Report from the House and Senate Education Committees

Jon Carnahan and Martha Anne Dow reported on testimony recently presented to the Education Committees of the House and Senate.

On January 27, 1999, Dow and Carnahan testified before the House Education Committee to present the Course and Credit Transfer Plan, prepared in response to 1997's HB 2387. Committee reaction to the report was quite positive, and the obligations of the Joint Boards under HB 2387 were discharged with the acceptance of this report.

On February 22, 1999, Carnahan and OUS Vice Chancellor Shirley Clark presented the Course and Credit Transfer Plan to the Senate Education Committee, this time as an information item in support of SB 166 (which would repeal the provisions of HB 2387 calling for the approval of community college courses by the State Board of Higher Education). The response from this committee was similarly positive, though the committee deferred passing the bill out of committee until the Oregon Student Association was allowed the opportunity to testify.

This led to a discussion of the possibility of student involvement with the JBAC. Is it desirable to solicit student involvement, with the aid of OSA (Oregon Student Association) and/or Community Colleges of Oregon Student Association and Commissions (CCOSAC). The discussion concluded with a motion, made and seconded, that "students be extended an invitation to JBAC meetings." The motion passed unanimously. Jim Arnold will draft a letter on behalf of Dow, sending copies of meeting minutes to OSA and CCOSAC and inviting student participation.

 

3.  Progress on Financial Aid Issues

Janine Allen introduced Sam Collie, financial aid director at Portland State University (PSU). Collie began by referring to the two financial-aid-related recommendations coming out of last year's Student Services Action Team, namely the (1) encouragement to explore consortium agreements between multiple "host" institutions to provide better financial aid access to students concurrently enrolled, and (2) a review of the various definitions of "satisfactory academic progress" in existence to see if there is some way to reach more standardization. PSU is especially interested in this area since it has entered into co-enrollment agreements with Clackamas and Mt. Hood Community Colleges -- and an agreement with Portland Community College is in process. With respect to the "satisfactory progress" issue, financial aid directors have met and started to address this by gathering written policies to see what common areas exist. Further, in the area of "consortium agreements" (and the mechanisms for providing financial aid to co-enrolled students), a meeting is scheduled for March 8 of a newly-formed group, the "Oregon Co-Enrollment Advisory Council" (OCEAC). The meeting will be held at Chemeketa Community College and facilitated by Kathy Campbell, financial aid director at Chemeketa, along with staff of the Oregon State Scholarship Commission (OSSC). The role of the OSSC will be discussed, along with goals, membership, financial aid, and other issues. JBAC will be represented at the meeting by Allen and J. Arnold, who will report back at the next meeting.

 

4. Early Options Statement and Legislative Activity

Carnahan reported that the community college presidents had developed and discussed a draft set of principles aimed at speaking to decision making in the realm of education improvement efforts (this draft was faxed to the group by Carnahan and distributed during the discussion). Carnahan suggested that some version of these principles be considered by the JBAC and recommended to the Joint Boards -- in light of recent legislative activity that cuts across sector lines, such as the AOI "Student Bill of Rights" proposal (SB 428) and proposed charter school legislation. (With respect to the "Bill of Rights" proposal, some community colleges have supported such legislation and some have not. There has been no desire to take funds away from the K-12 sector.) The question is, would it be useful to develop a set of principles now, for the time when questions are addressed to the Joint Boards in the future?

After brief discussion, it was noted that there appeared to be no strong support in pursuing the development of such a statement.


5.  Student Transfer Committee

Dave Phillips noted that the Student Transfer Committee has not yet had an opportunity to meet. The membership list has been revised (as noted in last month's minutes). At the conclusion of today's meeting, Phillips would like to meet with J. Arnold and Jim Buch to try to set a date for a meeting. (Note: a meeting date of April 14th was subsequently scheduled, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at OIT Metro, Room 139).

 

6. Convening Faculty Groups

Phillips reported that not much progress was made on the front of working toward convening faculty groups together in order to discuss matters of mutual interest, especially as those groups could identify and solve transfer and articulation issues. A small subgroup of JBAC members met briefly after the last JBAC meeting to begin to develop key questions faculty groups might focus on, but the Student Transfer Committee has not yet met to take this discussion any further.

R. Arnold reported that he recently had a discussion with Marj Enneking of the PSU math department (and the director of OCEPT, the "Oregon Collaborative for Excellence in Preparation of Teachers"). OCEPT is involved in convening faculty, primarily in math and science disciplines, to discuss ways to better prepare future teachers. In bringing together community college faculty, she reports, the major issue seems to be obtaining the necessary release time to be involved in such activity. For OUS faculty, the major obstacle appears to be that such pursuits are not necessarily rewarded in terms of "scholarly activity."

The suggestion was offered that to get faculty groups together, we should begin with groups already in existence. Another comment was that getting things STARTED was the major obstacle. Once that can happen, there would likely be a natural momentum built up. It was agreed that SOME kind of beginning is desirable. It may be possible for Dow and R. Arnold to pursue this in the next Academic Council meeting.


7.  WR 115 Transfer Issues and OWEAC Activity

J. Arnold reported on his recent visit to an Oregon and Writing and English Advisory Committee (OWEAC) meeting. OWEAC had anticipated that their requested changes to WR 115 would be made on the basis of their deliberations last year, but clearly that did not happen. OWEAC endorsed more "official" action in order to facilitate an examination of WR 115 courses and to renumber courses that are not at "college level."

J. Arnold distributed a draft letter, from Martha Anne Dow to Provosts and Chief Academic/Instructional Officers of OUS and the community colleges, requesting action on WR 115. Institutions are being requested to review their WR 115 courses and to report back on whether or not they are "college level." If the course is NOT college level, a plan for renumbering is requested. Responses are requested by June 15, 1999. At that point, a list of WR 115 courses that are legitimately eligible for transfer will be developed. This should clarify current problems about which WR 115s can be included in an AA/OT and which cannot.

This specific direction to address the WR 115 concerns was endorsed by the group. Phillips will discuss this action at the next CAO meeting and Dow will be speaking to the Academic Council.


8.  Organic Chemistry Issues

J. Arnold distributed a draft version of a table comparing the policies regarding credit acceptance of organic chemistry courses by OUS campuses, and explained the ongoing issues with respect to transfer of organic chemistry courses between community colleges and OUS institutions. Community colleges offer organic chem at the lower-division level and OUS campuses at the upper-division level, which creates confusion and problems in the manner which credits are able to transfer. OUS Vice Chancellor Shirley Clark has expressed an interest in having a policy recommendation from JBAC on this issue which she can take into Academic Council for consideration.

Comments on this issue included:


9.  JBAC Workplan

J. Arnold reminded the group that the latest version of the JBAC Workplan is always on the web (http://www.ous.edu/aca/98-99workplan.html).

As both Judy Patterson and Elaine Yandle-Roth were unable to attend today's meeting, the discussion of "educational improvement activities" will be deferred until another time.


10.  JBAC Website and Revised AA/OT Guidelines

J. Arnold reminded everyone that the new and revised guidelines for the AA/OT degree are posted at the JBAC website (http://www.ous.edu/aca/transferdeg.html ). The degree guidelines also includes a link to the 1997 JBAC letter clarifying the intent of the AA/OT.

J. Arnold also asked the JBAC membership to visit the website and give it a critical look. How can things be different or better? What can or should be changed about the site?

One immediate suggestion was to offer a "hot topics" section to the site.


11.  Adjournment and Next Meeting

The meeting was adjourned at 12:00 noon. The next meeting is scheduled for April 7, 1999, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at OIT Metro.

 

 


Prepared by Jim Arnold
OUS Academic Affairs
March 10, 1999