Joint Boards Articulation Commission

Meeting Summary Notes
November 4, 1998
OIT Metro,
Portland, Oregon

Members Present

Martha Anne Dow, Oregon Institute of Technology, Chair
Janine Allen, Portland State University
Jim Arnold, Oregon University System
Roy Arnold, Oregon State University (via phone)
Liz Goulard, Clackamas Community College
Pat Loughary, Blue Mountain Community College
Judy Patterson, Oregon Department of Education
Dave Phillips, Clatsop Community College
Mark Wahlers, Concordia College
Elaine Yandle-Roth, Office of Community College Services

 

Guests

Tamara Dykeman, Oregon Community College Association
Marylee King, Marylhurst University

Martha Anne Dow called the meeting to order at 10:10 a.m.

1.  Minutes of October 6, 1998

The minutes of the October 6, 1998, meeting were approved.

2.  Draft Version of the 1997-98 JBAC Annual Report

Elaine Yandle-Roth indicated that the Annual Report is still in need of minor revision, such as reordering the recommendations. The appendix material still needs to be added, too, including the revised version of the Joint Boards Articulation Agreement and the updated JBAC Workplan. Jim Arnold indicated that there will be 15 minutes allotted to JBAC at the November 20th Joint Boards meeting for both the Annual Report and the Course and Credit Transfer Plan. Dow indicated the desire for overhead transparencies for the presentation and Yandle-Roth will coordinate getting these prepared. Jim Arnold will make sure there is an overhead projector at the Joint Boards meeting.


3. JBAC Workplan

This discussion of the Workplan was scheduled to address targets, benchmarks and specific actions that might be identified.  Among the elements arising in the discussion were:

What about other workplan topics?

4.  Student Transfer Committee

Phillips addressed the anticipated work of the Student Transfer Committee (STC) this year, indicating that further exploration of an Associate of Science Transfer Degree is one remaining task. The STC talked about such a degree last year but did not complete an analysis.

There is also a need to address STC membership. Should we ask current members to continue on? Phillips will send out an email to the group and inquire about their interest. Pat Loughary indicated a desire to be replaced on the STC, suggesting that Dana Young of Blue Mountain Community College would be a more appropriate choice at this time. Dow indicated that perhaps Linda Newell, the new registrar at OIT would be a good replacement for Beth Murphy (who has taken another position). Is it possible to have a representative from an Independent institution? Mark Wahlers will consult Gary Andeen on possibilities for this. Judy Patterson does not have a recommendation for a K-12 person at this time and asked what type of person might be the most appropriate...a counselor, vice principal, who? Elaine Yandle-Roth recommends a person who's been involved in the development of the CAM.


5.  Credit for Prior Learning Action Team Report

Marylee King and Elaine Yandle-Roth, co-chairs of the Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) Action Team, presented another draft version of that group's report. The charge of the Action Team was to "identify what it will take to make credit for prior learning transferable to all Oregon institutions." King and Yandle-Roth observed that policies are already in place [Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges (NASC); the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL)] that address credit for prior learning. Recommendations from the Action Team were listed:

The observation was made that faculty often have reservations about CPL based on "quality" issues.

Can the Action Team/JBAC suggest that credit be accepted from all institutions that follow CAEL guidelines?

The suggestion has been made to NASC (by CAEL) that credits NOT be transcripted as CPL. (Institutions in Washington, for example, do not transcript CPL credits as such.)

Perhaps the Student Transfer Committee (STC) could take the final Action Team report and engage in further study of the issues raised. (Can we define "P" grade as "C or better"?) As a next step do we WANT to refer these issues to the STC? We should take this report to the various system groups (AC, CAO, CSSA, SAC) to further the dialog.

The recommendation was made that, for now, that the CPL Action Team reconsider and strengthen the second recommendation (about CAEL standards). Also, with respect to the third recommendation, can the Action Team specify some examples of what state or regional centers might look like?

King and Yandle-Roth will revise the report, bring it back to JBAC, and we'll determine what to do from there.


6.  Plan for Course and Credit Transfer

Jim Arnold presented the latest draft of the course and credit transfer plan. The draft will be presented to the Joint Boards meeting on November 20th. Any suggested revisions from that meeting will be incorporated into a final version that will be reviewed by the Joint Boards Working Group before submission to the legislature.


7.  OWEAC and WR 115

The issue of follow up with OWEAC (the Oregon English and Writing Advisory Committee) was raised. What does the JBAC do next about WR 115? We need to communicate with OWEAC about next steps and bring this issue to some kind of closure.

The suggestion was made to draft a letter to go to community colleges and OUS institutions about the WR 115 advisory. The letter should go out from Dow as chair of the JBAC.


8.  Adjourn

The meeting was adjourned at 1:35 p.m. The next meeting will be on December 2, 1998, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at OIT Metro.


Prepared by Jim Arnold
OUS Academic Affairs
November 17, 1998